Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Saving $$$$

Ryan and I have created a budget for the first time. We had always talked about creating one but never did. We are not big spenders so we never had issues... or so we thought. We were looking back at each month and realizing that we could not account for a few hundred dollars.. where did it go? Some here.. there.. it sure added up quick! It was really depressing.. I feel that I am responsible for 95% of it because I am the shopper. I knew that I had to take the reigns to make this happen.

First, we decided that we would take out a certain amount of money out of our account every week for groceries and other items we may need. I think it's too easy to use a debit card for everything and not realize how much money is gone. It's a great way to hold yourself accountable. Because we are saving for either a house/missions, we are really being tight on our money every week so if we go over, it's not the end of the world. We are actually living on $50/week on groceries which if you want to make it happen, it's TOTALLY POSSIBLE!!
Coupons-coupons-coupons!!! Every Sunday night, we go to my parents house to watch our show with them (The Amazing Race!) and while we are there, I cut coupons from the Sunday paper. I actually really enjoy it!
Especially with moving, we really want to try to eat stuff in our apartment that we haven't used in months (ex. Hamburger Helper) so we really didn't even need to buy too much at the store besides basics bread, coffee creamer... and some others. It's hard to believe that by just buying orange juice, milk, creamer, and apple juice, almost 1/4 of the food budget for the week is gone! Those alone end up being around $15+... so we knew that had to change. So now, orange juice is going to be every-other week.. (we will have to drink it slowly), we always have milk but even that lasts for 2 weeks with us.. creamer is a must because of our intake of coffee (1 pot+ /day), and we will by apple juice but mainly for Bekah Lee. So what do we do now with lack of juice? Most stores offer a variety of powders that you add to water to make juice. Now, I'm not talking about kool-aid. Crystal Light has a lot less calories. And you can buy powder that makes 2 gallons (8 quarts) for about $3.. even less sometimes! All I do is buy a gallon of water ($0.70) and it ultimately saves SO MUCH MONEY!!

It's pretty hard to not have that freedom to go and buy what I like.. but I know it's more responsible to be wide with your money. Oh wow, I sure sound like my parents!! I know we will appreciate it in the end!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you guys! Have you ever watched Dave Ramsey's show or read his Total Money Makeover book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We give that book at all the wedding showers we go to. I am going to send you some links to some websites about SUPER COUPONING via facebook. It has truley changed the way we shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Dave Ramsey but I have never read/watched anything of him. I would love those links Racquel!

    ReplyDelete